Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Nervous Conditions- Chapter 9

This chapter in Nervous Conditions has really opened my eyes a lot to everyday problems in the world, and how to face them. I've almost forgot one of the worst things going on during this time period; the civil rights movement. Tambu in this chapter is so excited to be going to Sacred Heart, but soon is segregated into black and white classrooms. I know that this was a typical thing going on during this time, but every time I read or see a video or something about this, it makes me wonder what people used to think. Why would someone think something bad of someone of color without even knowing them? Why didn't more people try to stop this in earlier times (besides the well known people like Harriet Tubman or Rosa Parks)? This theme kept revolving in my throughout the chapter.
I also saw the passage on page 184 (we read in class) when Maiguru is talking about the terms of "loose" and "decent" and how women could never win no matter what they did. I completely agree with Maiguru in this case because she is making a very good point. She makes her own money and could make it on her own, but Babamukuru is the only one who gets to see the money in the family, and is also the only one who controls what they do with all this money. It mentioned earlier in the book how they have 2 cars, yet Maiguru doesn't drive either of them. Why? Because Babamukuru doesn't allow her to. Back to what I said in the last chapter, Babamukuru has so much good in him, but he just keeps taking steps back instead of dealing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment