Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Nervous Conditions-Chapter 6

After reading this chapter, I couldn't stop reading the book! Even though most of the chapter was full with a lot of violence, it made my eyes glued to the book where I couldn't stop reading! 
Even though this chapter was so riveting, I also changed my look on Babamukuru. I used to look at him as such a loving, giving man who wanted the best for his family. Now I look at him an evil, violent man. I never thought about it, but now that this event has happened, it makes sense to think that Babamukuru only thinks about appearance. It would explain why he got so mad at Nyasha, or why he let Tambu and her family live in his house in Rhodesia. He just wants to look good in front of people, and doesn't want his family to be known as the dirt poor people. I feel as though there is good and bad in all of it. It's good that he cares for how people may look at him and his family, but also bad that he just wants them to be known as not poor. Tambu also realizes, just like in our quiz that we took, that men are dominant over women. We learned in chapter 7 that just like Babamukuru, Maiguru gets a paycheck. I'm sure she works just as hard in her job, but doesn't even see her pay. It goes straight to Babamukuru, and she doesn't even have a say what the money will go for. I think that this is an uneven male dominant society, just like how the women at the homestead aren't aloud to say much in conversations. I think that this needs to end, and that Tambu has to do something about it soon before it gets worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment