Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Nervous Conditions- Chapter 10

Now, after finished reading the book, I have realized many things. I love these books that add mystery too it. I also like at the end how she describes "setting down the story", because even though it is her story, the way she describes re-living her story when writing this story like she is reading a story. She has to put down the story because she has lived a very emotional and epic life, that has many ups and downs. Something that I found interesting about her character Tambu is how she was always a strong wall when it came to all these tear-jerking scenes. In most stories, or even in real life for example, most girls would probably have some time in the story where they have either a big mental breakdown, or just have a cry-fest. Even though, unlike other girls, I do also think that Tambu was unaware always of what was really going on. For example, when Nyasha was going on her "diet", Tambu never thought anything of it but as a diet for her cousin to go on to slim her body. When she was really becoming anorexic and having a fatal eating disorder. Tambu was always lost in her studies that she never really knew what was going on, or how it was happening.
Even though the story is over, it mentioned how this was only the beginning on the last page, so it sounds like there is still much more to tell than just her younger life. I have also heard that there is a series of these books, which I will keep a lookout on, and maybe even start reading one in the near future. This book was very different reading for me, because usually in english class we read more Shakespearian stories like Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth (just like we will next quarter), but this book was unlike any other being that it was full of much more intense, and also modern information. It dealt with the troubles that many black people had to face in that time period of segregation, it dealt with many family troubles (husband-wife unevenness, eating disorders, relationship troubles) that not many books talk about. It was personal enough to make us feel like we knew everything about that family, or like what we talk about in class, bringing us to the scene. I hope I will find books more like this in the future, and to hopefully read the sequel soon!

1 comment:

  1. I never even thought about how different this book is from other book we have read, but its true! I like how she kept the ending open and to me it killed it by her writing a sequel.

    ReplyDelete