Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

My Birthday


        Hurricane Isaac was very unexpected and came very quickly (until it hit land and decided to slow down to 8 miles an hour.) When I found out that it would hit on my birthday, the same day as Katrina did seven years prior, I was very amazed. When the day came, I was surprised to wake up with the electricity still on, and barely any rainfall. But not much time passed until it started to get very windy and be raining deliriously! The power went out at about 10 A.M. and soon enough it was started to get very hot. I discussed with my mom and dad when would be a good time to have the birthday celebration (which was just my entire family having cake and ice cream and me opening my presents) and we decided we have it after lunch before it started to get too dark. When the time came, I was so excited to see what presents I got and what the cake would look like.

        At last we got the cake out and started singing happy birthday and eating. Afterwards when the time came to open presents, I was astonished to get a new running hat and a water bottle! My parents knew it wasn't what I would have expected, but they barely had any time to shop and get any presents and just told me that we would be able to go look for other things after the storm had passed when all the stores were open. I knew that it would be okay if we didn't get everything because I was happy with what I had already gotten. Finally, after we finished eating, we just had a nice, relaxing day of sleeping, watching movies, and just walking around outside finding out if anything had fallen or broken around the neighborhood. It was my second hurricane birthday. I also found out something pretty cool, that I was born in 1998, and when I turned seven that it was the day of Katrina. And seven years later it was hurricane Isaac! It will be funny and mysterious if I have another crazy hurricane on my 21st birthday!

4 comments:

  1. Even with Hurricane Isaac, I can tell you had a great birthday nevertheless! Haha, it would be really crazy if another one came on your 21st birthday! Hope you had a great b-day btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your birthday will always be a Louisiana day of infamy. I enjoyed reading your story, but remember to keep your focus on a short event and use vivid details to bring us to the scene. What did the party look like, feel like? Was the ice cream melting? Was the candle more dramatic because you didn't have to turn off the lights? Work on including concrete sensory details. For your reading post, make sure to include two fully developed paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, please include the details on your reading time.

      Delete
    2. Isabella, your birthday sounded really interesting and fun! That is really crazy with the seven year thing. That will be so funny if it happens again when you 21.

      Delete