Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Song Analysis

The song I decided to analyze for this post is "Now" by Paramore. This song represents some of the terrible things that our world has come to, and even though some people may not like this genre of music, it is still very inspirational.
Starting off, I noticed within the song that they mention the word "now" a lot (ergo the name of the song). They show it in many ways, within the way they say it, when they say it, and others. For instance, in the first and many other lines to follow, the singer has an enjambment between the words "don't try to take this from me" and "now". If we said this sentence speaking regularly, we would not pause in between these two words to emphasize the meaning of NOW. Also, after listening to the entire song, I heard many times where the singer elongated the word of "now", while every single other word in the song was only held out a regular quarter note or eighth note. I think this was another showing of the emphasis that the writer was showing of ending this war NOW. Next, throughout the song, it mentions multiple times of almost moving forward. It describes them in different ways, but still comes to the reader/listener in the same message. For example, some of the sayings they used were "Waking from the dead", "we're starting over, or heading in", "if there's a future we want it", and "bringing my sinking ship back to the shore". These sayings symbolize that if the world wants to get better, they have to keep moving and push through the hardness of life. In forms of patterns, I had trouble finding any in the lines of writing.
Ever since we started to annotate more poems in English, I have been noticing it much more in every kind of writing that I see. In songs, books, or even things like quotes. I am excited now to learn more about poems and hopefully help me with understanding writing even more!

2 comments:

  1. I like your analysis of the word "Now" in the song. There is like a tringle between the title, the use of "now" and the meaning of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting analysis of this song. It makes sense that they would make sense that the lyrics have the word now in it explaining the title.

    ReplyDelete